The top 10 benefits of hemp CBD oil and best practices
Research has exploded in recent years on cannabidiol (CBD), one of more than 100 active compounds called cannabinoids found in hemp. What this research is showing is that we have ignored the benefits of CBD for far too long.
The human body creates cannabinoids like CBD and uses them through what is called the endocannabinoid system. We now know the endocannabinoid system plays an important role in supporting overall health and that CBD can help, too. Research suggests CBD may offer a variety of health benefits, from improved sleep to reduced pain and stress.
At Haleigh’s Hope we know first-hand that CBD can improve health, thanks to the inspiration behind our work, Haleigh Cox. When we first met Haleigh, she had been given only a few months to live due to intractable epilepsy and Cerebral Palsy. Her seizure medications weren’t helping, and she had as many as 200 seizures per day. After transitioning to CBD oil, that number reduced to only a few, and she only continues to improve.
There are countless potential benefits to hemp CBD oil–see our Top 10 here:
- Reduced anxiety. The most common mental illnesses in the United States are anxiety disorders. Anxiety is described as a feeling of nervousness or worrying, often caused from a sense of uncertainty. It can be debilitating. Many studies have shown that CBD may reduce feelings of anxiety, improving overall health and wellness.
- Improved mental health. The brain has many chemicals that constantly interact, called neurotransmitters, which play a large role in mood and behavior. Hemp CBD oil may help to regulate these brain chemicals, which means it also may support overall mental health. Research has found that CBD can have antidepressant effects, increasing levels of the neurotransmitter known as serotonin in the brain.
- Improved sleep. Research suggests CBD may help with sleep issues stemming from rapid eye movement (REM) disorders, like insomnia. REM is a stage of deep sleep where dreams are most vivid and is important to the health and development of the brain. CBD oil may also help reduce nightmares in those with post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Reduced stress. When you feel stressed, your body has elevated levels of a chemical called cortisol. High cortisol levels can have symptoms such as fatigue, irritability, high blood pressure, trouble sleeping and more, which makes stress tough on the body. Research suggests CBD can significantly reduce cortisol levels, helping to reduce overall stress and improve health.
- Anti-seizure. Seizures are caused by sudden brain disturbances that can result in changes in behavior, movement and feelings. Frequent seizures are a symptom of epilepsy. CBD has been shown to be effective at reducing the frequency of seizures in those with treatment-resistant forms of epilepsy. It can reduce seizure frequency by around 50% according to many studies.
- Neuroprotective. Neurons are special cells that transmit signals through the brain and central nervous system. They are responsible for proper brain function. When neurons degenerate, people can develop diseases such as Alzheimer’s, epilepsy and multiple sclerosis. Studies have found that CBD may protect neurons from damage caused by many factors, such as oxidative damage from free-radicals.
- Anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is the body’s response to injuries and infection, often resulting in redness and swelling. However, sometimes there is too much inflammation that can cause pain and stiffness while exhausting the immune system. Some research suggests CBD can reduce this kind of inflammation, especially in those with osteoarthritis, a joint disease that develops over time through wear-and-tear of protective cartilage between bones.
- Pain relief. This benefit goes hand-in-hand with reducing inflammation. Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen, reduce pain primarily by reducing inflammation. Multiple studies suggest that CBD may be a safe and well-tolerated pain reliever. For example, one study found that CBD-rich hemp oil was able to significantly reduce overall body pain for girls experiencing a nervous system disorder that causes chronic pain.
- A balanced body. The endocannabinoid system is important for regulating a variety of systems in the body, including the nervous system, immune system and endocrine system. These systems help maintain balanced energy levels in the human body, creating a healthful steady-state called homeostasis. Hemp CBD oil may help support the body’s endocannabinoid system in maintaining internal balance.
- Improved health and well-being. All these potential CBD oil benefits often have crossover — for instance, reducing inflammation often also results in reduced pain. Human health is holistic: if one thing is wrong in the body, others may follow. CBD oil may help support overall health through the whole body’s important systems, resulting in many individual benefits that combine to create overall health and well-being.
How to Use Hemp CBD Oil
Most studies have shown positive results when CBD oil is taken sublingually, meaning under the tongue. Haleigh’s Hope hemp CBD oil products are recommended to be taken under the tongue for most conditions, though it can be taken orally, rectally or by feeding tube. You can find our CBD oil for sale on our products page.